Subject: Marmoleum and carpeting

Marmoleum and carpeting

From: Gordon Perrault <gperrault<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2008
I am looking for any information that discusses the pros and cons of
using carpet, versus hardwood or marmoleum flooring in museums. The
Canada Aviation Museum is about to undergo a major floor redesign
and as the conservation manager, I would like to see all carpet
disappear from the exhibit areas and replaced with something like
linoleum, marmoleum or even a treated or painted concrete floors.
The Aviation museum exhibits mostly large aircraft and the dust
levels generated from the carpets never seems to subside.  If anyone
has such a document and would like to share it, we would be most
appreciative.

Gordon Perrault
Manager, Conservation Services
Canada Science and Technology Museum Corporation
2495 Lancaster Road
PO Box 9724, Station T
Ottawa, Ontario K1G 5A3
Canada