Subject: Paper damaged by Photocopy toner

Paper damaged by Photocopy toner

From: Jane Meggers <jane-meggers<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2008
We experienced an unfortunate accident when an historical document
ended up being fed through our photocopier with the lid open,
resulting in the entire surface being covered with fused toner. The
original document contains only iron gal ink ms. on unruled
calendered paper. My research shows that the toner can be removed in
a bath of Ethyl Acetate followed by suction as described in a case
study at National Archives (AIC Book and Paper Group Annual, vol 8,
1989

  <URL:http://cool-aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v08/bp08-05.html>

I can perform this operation in the lab here but want to know first
if anyone has experience or new information on the best procedure to
use.

Jane Meggers, Conservator
State Historical Society of Iowa
402 Iowa Ave