Subject: Dataloggers

Dataloggers

From: Rick Kerschner <rkerschner<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Kathleen A. Malarkeys <kmarkees [at] wpi__edu> writes

>I was hoping for a more extensive discussion of data loggers. Does
>anyone have comments on the humidity and temperature data logger
>made by Extech?  ...
>...  Also, any advice/tactics
>for convincing higher-ups of the importance of controlling
>temperature and humidity ...

My favorite data logger is the Preservation Environmental Monitor
developed especially for use in Museums by the Image Permanence
Institute at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Many different
data loggers can gather T and RH data and present it in a graph.
What sets the PEM above the others is the software Climate Notebook
(see <URL:http://climatenotebook.ipi.zaks.com//> )that was also
developed by IPI. Climate Notebook performs numerous analysis
functions, including comparing T and RH in different buildings or
from different galleries. It generates several different reports
that are not only easy to read, but easy to understand by allied
museum professionals such as collections managers, climate control
engineers, and directors. Climate Notebook will also accept data
from other data loggers such as Hobo.

We have 5 PEMs that we have moved around to 12 different buildings,
gathering a year or two of data on each building and characterizing
conditions to justify environmental upgrades. We use the reports as
supporting data for NEH and IMLS grants. Once the project is
completed, we submit Climate Notebook reports to show the
improvement in the collections environment. IPI has recently updated
the PEM and is embarking on an 18-month field test of the new and
improved product. Each PEM runs for 5 years without a battery change
and stores all the cumulative information. It can be downloaded to a
data card and transferred into Climate Notebook on a PC. IPI
provides excellent support for their product. PEM's are more
expensive that Hobo's but I have found that they are certainly worth
the cost.

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT   05482
802-985-3348 x3361