Subject: Alabaster

Alabaster

From: Daniela Stojkovic <daniela<-a>
Date: Monday, December 31, 2007
At the moment I have a 3 quite large and heavy alabaster objects in
my studio. First one is a clock stand, very dusty and dirty. The
layer of dirt is "polished" into the surface with some sort of
polishing wax. The second one is a lamp, which has been restored
(bonded) with shellac. The third one is a carved stand with a basin
on the top. This one is the most damaged one. It's broken into 7
large, heavy pieces.

I have found some literature about conservation of alabaster but it
seams to me there isn't enough information available (or I cannot
find it). With my limited knowledge about this particular material I
feel I need more information in order to make an appropriate
proposal for the conservation treatment.

Any information considering alabaster conservation and
in particular cleaning, bonding and filling materials and
techniques, is more than welcome.

Daniela Stojkovic
Het Blauwe Paard Restauratie Atelier
Amsterdam