Subject: Ethanol-modified calcium phytate calcium bicarbonate complexing and iron gall ink

Ethanol-modified calcium phytate calcium bicarbonate complexing and iron gall ink

From: Yasmeen Khan <ykha>
Date: Monday, December 18, 2006
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to sender and
    if of general interest post it here as well

I represent a group of paper and book conservators at the Library of
Congress who are working on protocols for treating irongall ink
documents. We would like to take an informal poll to see if
conservators working in both private practice and institutional
settings, are using an ethanol-modified calcium phytate calcium
bicarbonate complexing treatment for irongall ink documents. Please,
email me <ykha [at] loc__gov> if you are using this treatment protocol.

Yasmeen Khan
Senior Rare Book Conservator
Conservation Division
Library of Congress