Subject: Furniture waxes

Furniture waxes

From: Hugh Glover <hglover>
Date: Monday, December 11, 2006
Marianne Webb <mariannw [at] rom__on__ca> writes

>It has come to my attention that Goddard's Cabinet Makers Wax which
>I have used in the past now contains silicone.  This applies to both
>the new spray version and the standard paste wax.  This has
>initiated much discussion locally about commercially available waxes
>that are safe for use on historic furniture.  I would like to know
>what other furniture conservators are using or recommending to the
>public.

We generally use and recommend Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax (pale
color) and Butcher's Boston Polish (amber color) on varnished wood
surfaces (The Butcher Polish Co., Marlborough, Massachusetts).  I
find some paste waxes are too soft (e.g. Renaissance
microcrystalline wax) and they smear on subsequent handling, and
others have more obnoxious solvent mixes (e.g. Mylands Wax).

Hugh Glover
Williamstown Art Conservation Center
225 South St.
Williamstown MA 01267