Subject: Furniture waxes

Furniture waxes

From: Detlef Klein <detlef.klein>
Date: Sunday, December 10, 2006
Marianne Webb <mariannw [at] rom__on__ca> writes

>It has come to my attention that Goddard's Cabinet Makers Wax which
>I have used in the past now contains silicone.  This applies to both
>the new spray version and the standard paste wax.  This has
>initiated much discussion locally about commercially available waxes
>that are safe for use on historic furniture.  I would like to know
>what other furniture conservators are using or recommending to the
>public.

The best results are obtained by using microcrystalline waxes
dissolved in turpentine, otherwise know as "Museum Polish" and first
formulated by the British Museum. The formula also contains
polyethylene wax. It is easily removable with mineral turps, does
not yellow and does not change chemically with age. Not sure where
you would get it in Canada, but I guess with one of the suppliers of
conservation materials. Otherwise, it is available in New Zealand
from Conservation Supplies <URL:http://conservationsupplies.co.nz/>

I have used this product for over 20 years as a polish for historic
furniture, objects and metal and have had no problems. There is also
a version formulated for copper containing Benzotriazole.

Detlef Klein
Conservator
Manawatu Museum Services Ltd
349 Forest Hill Road