Subject: Adhesive for glass

Adhesive for glass

From: Robert K. MacDowell <macdowell_r>
Date: Monday, December 4, 2006
Sarah Patterson <conservator.sarah [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am an object conservator looking for a UV set optically clear
>adhesive for use on glass. Ideally the adhesive would set with a
>hand held UV light. Product and source are requested.

First, there are a number of such products available. Since around
1976 we have settled on Loctite 349 (Catalog Number 34931 is a 50 ml
container). This adhesive is crystal-clear, a one-part system
requiring no curing additives and it has a long shelf life (we have
a container of it the we purchased in the late 20th century ;-> ).
We have seen no evidence of yellowing on specimens we treated during
that century. I would heartily recommend this product and just
purchased another supply of it from the following supplier at about
$28.75

    <URL:http://www.watkins-associates.com>

The sales person with whom I dealt was very helpful and professional
and I enjoyed doing business with the company.

Now for curing. Long ago, we purchased a unit called a TEKLITE from
Electro-Lite Corporation. With this unit, I find that the typical
bond will set up (fixture strength or handling strength) in about
10-seconds. After finishing work on a project, it has been my
practice to set the project on a bench in direct sunlight and let it
further cure for about an hour. If necessary, it's a good idea to
rotate the piece to be sure one exposes all bonds for as long as
possible. We have never had a bond failure reported by a client. See

    <URL:http://www.electro-lite.com/spot_systems.htm>

The closest match I found was their Model ELC-410. I did not attempt
to price this unit, but I remember that the TEKLITE cost about $900
at the time.

You might find it useful to go back to Watkins Associates and see if
they have other products/ideas on curing systems.

The Dental profession uses a wide variety of light and UV-cured
products, and one of the items they use may prove effective. Henry
Schein is a seller of such products and you may want to search

    <URL:http://www.henryschein.com/DENTAL/default.asp>

You might also chat with your personal dentist--perhaps he or she
would be able to help with ideas and possibly with a purchase.

Hoping this will get you started,

Robert K. MacDowell
MacDowell Restorations
39845 The Narrows Road