Subject: Adhesive for glass

Adhesive for glass

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Sunday, December 3, 2006
Sarah Patterson <conservator.sarah [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am an object conservator looking for a UV set optically clear
>adhesive for use on glass. Ideally the adhesive would set with a
>hand held UV light. Product and source are requested.

Several good quality UV-setting adhesives are available.  Norland
Optical Inc. has two that might prove useful, NOA 61 and 71.  They
both have very high Refractive Indices (1.56), and are therefore
more appropriate for lead glasses.  They produce many others, but
these two are probably the most stable.  See

    <URL:http://www.norlandprod.com/adhesives.html>

Loctite (Loctite Corp., Hartford, CT 06106) produces "IMPRUV" (r)
(Registered), also known as "Loctite 349".  It is sold through
suppliers such as Grainger Industrial, MSC and the Fastenal Company.

You should be aware that the UV-setting adhesives are not as stable
as B-72 or Hxtal NYL and Epotek 301-2, and will probably begin to
yellow in less than 30 years. I have seen yellowing in much less
time, and even in the bottle after just a few years.

For more information on adhesives for glass, I can suggest my new
book, Conservation and Care of Glass Objects (2006).  It is
available in the U.S. from The Corning Museum of Glass:
<URL:http://glassmarket.cmog.org/browse.cfm/4,1086.htm>. or in the
UK from Archetype: info [at] archetype__co__uk

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way