Subject: Solubility parameters of methyl proxitol

Solubility parameters of methyl proxitol

From: Gregory D. Smith <smithgd>
Date: Friday, December 1, 2006
Laura Mills <lauramills1 [at] googlemail__com> writes

>Does anyone know the solubility parameters of Methyl Proxitol
>(1-Methoxy Propan-2-ol) for use on the Teas Chart?

As far as I know, proper Teas parameters for methyl proxitol
(1-methoxy-propan-2-ol or propylene glycol monomethyl ether) have
not been reported.  However, Hansen (2000, CRC Press) reports in his
book "Hansen Solubility Parameters: A User's Handbook" that the
Hansen solubility parameters are 15.6, 6.3, and 11.6 for dispersion,
polarity, and H-bonding, respectively.  If you make a simple
calculation of fractional parameters using these Hansen values, you
get Fd = 47, Fp = 19, and Fh = 34.  These values place methyl
proxitol in a sensible position on the Teas chart relative to the
other glycol ethers, and my testing of various synthetic resins
(MS2A, Laropal, Regelrez, Aquazol, etc) shows that these values for
methyl proxitol predict their solubility behavior as one would
expect.

Dr. Gregory Dale Smith
Andrew W. Mellon Assistant Professor of Conservation Science
Buffalo State College
Art Conservation Department
1300 Elmwood Ave., RH#230
Buffalo NY 14222