Subject: Online courses

Online courses

From: Helen Alten <helen>
Date: Monday, November 27, 2006
Upcoming Online Museum Classes:

Look for our complete 2007 Online Museum Classes Schedule in early
December 2006. We've added courses on security, collections
management, care of specific materials and archaeology. The first
three months of 2007 are posted at

    <URL:http://www.museumclasses.org>

New to <URL:http://www.museumclasses.org> this year are short
courses--one week on one topic. For those of you on a budget, the
short courses give you a taste of our full classes. Participants
receive course readings at the beginning of the month. This provides
a week to bone up before an "Ask the Experts" chat at 11am Eastern
Time (New York) the second Wednesday of each month. Be prepared to
participate  your questions and comments make this a rich
experience. No more than 20 participants can join, so sign up early
to reserve a place.

The first three Short Courses of 2007 are:

January:
MS 001      The Problem with Plastics

    As we march boldly toward the 22nd century, artifact collecting
    includes that most fragile of materials--plastic. Not only is it
    in our collections, but it's used to house our collections, too.
    What problems have you seen? What problems have others seen?
    What materials are best? What can we, as caretakers, do to
    minimize long-term damage? Join Helen for our first mini-course
    of the season. Bring any questions you have about plastics in
    your museum.

February:
MS 008:     Buy-In: Getting All of the Staff to Support Preservation

    All too often, preservation is left to one or two staff members
    and others believe it doesn't apply to them. Everyone must buy
    into the notion of preservation. But how? Readings will
    introduce some ideas and participants in this course will
    brainstorm with Helen Alten and others about what works, what
    might work--and what doesn't.

March:
MS 002:     Collection Protection  Are you Prepared?

    Disaster planning is overwhelming. Where do you start? Talk to
    Terri Schindel about how to get going. Use her checklist to
    determine your level of preparedness. What do you already have
    in place? Are you somewhat prepared? What can you do next?
    Participants in Collection Protection will read literature and
    complete a checklist before joining a one-hour chat to discuss
    disaster preparedness at their institutions.

Short courses take about 10 hours of a student's time.  Their cost
is $75.

Please sign up at <URL:http://www.museumclasses.org> and pay at
<URL:http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html> If you have trouble
with either, please contact Helen Alten at helen [at] collectioncare__org

                Distributed: Thursday, November 30, 2006