Subject: Gatorboard

Gatorboard

From: Helen Coxon <helenc>
Date: Thursday, November 30, 2006
Bas van Velzen <bas.van.velzen [at] icn__nl> writes

>In the ongoing quest for materials with better properties for
>backingboards for paintings and framed works of art in general, we
>are considering Gatorboard as a replacement for Kapaline. Before
>extensively testing this material we would like to know if
>Gatorboard is used in conservation ...

Gatorboard, or Gatorfoam, has been tested at the Royal Ontario
Museum as part of our regular materials testing program.  It is
*not* considered an archivally acceptable material, because there is
significant detectable offgassing from the facings.  Nevertheless,
there may be short-term exhibit situations in which it might be used
for other reasons, such as that mentioned in Ekaterina's posting.

Where long-term stability is an issue, acid-free foamboard, or
Fome-Cor, is acceptable, as is Gatorplast, which has the same foam
core/facing sheet construction as Gatorboard, but is made of
polystyrene throughout.

Helen Coxon
Preventive Conservation
Royal Ontario Museum

                Distributed: Thursday, November 30, 2006