Subject: Wheat starch paste

Wheat starch paste

From: Robert Klein <robertsantiques>
Date: Friday, November 17, 2006
I am soon to begin restoration on a rather large partners desk from
the UK made in the mid to late 1800's.  The damage is extensive due
to the loss of a roof during hurricane Ivan in northwest Florida.
Unfortunately the cleanup crew removed 99% of the original leather
top, a top which I could have saved.

The new leather was ordered from the UK and as I have done in the
past with large leathers, I intend to use wheat paste as my
adhesive.  I worry about mold developing under the leather.  What
type of preservative is recommended to add to the paste and at what
proportion?

Robert Klein
Roberts Antiques Restoration
Pensacola FL