Subject: Celtic ceramic vessel

Celtic ceramic vessel

From: Johanna Kluegl <johanna_kluegl>
Date: Monday, November 13, 2006
I am working on my diploma thesis about a Celtic ceramic vessel form
Berne Switzerland, which has a unique pattern. This pattern once
covered the whole surface of the ceramic. To create the pattern a
layer presumably consisting of skin (0.7 mm thick) was applied to
the surface. The skin was covered with tin foil (0.05 mm thick),
which can still be seen in a few areas. These two layers are
decorated with a design of stamped circles. The layer that consists
presumably of skin is applied in vertical strips/trams (width 20
mm). Because of chemical degradation during burial the skin is now
mineralized and there is only a white powdery substance left in most
areas.

My research is concentrating on the analysis and identification of
the different layers of the pattern and its production technique. I
am currently working on the development of a conservation method for
this outstanding object.

By posting on the Conservation DistList, I hope to reach
conservators who might have been acquainted with objects that show a
comparable material combination. I would be glad to get in contact
with other professionals. If anybody has ever treated an object like
this, I would be glad to get to know about it.

Johanna Klugl
Tiefenaustrasse 110/417
3004 Berne, Switzerland
+41 31 633 98 52