Subject: Source for leather sought

Source for leather sought

From: Chris Hicks <chrishicksbookbinder>
Date: Sunday, November 12, 2006
Sonja Brandt <sonnja.b [at] web__de> writes

>We are currently re-looking at suppliers for good quality
>onservation leather, as well as bookbinding leather. Especially,
>calf skin for conservation has become a slight problem and we are
>not entirely satisfied with the quality of the leather at hand. Can
>anyone give information about suppliers within Europe and experience
>people have made with these leathers ...

I can thoroughly recommend the calf produced by J. Hewits, the
Edinburgh tanners. I have used their leathers for over twenty-five
years and have always found them excellent and the company extremely
helpful when dealing with particular requests. Their details are

    Hewit and Sons Ltd.
    Kinauld Leather Works
    Currie
    Edinburgh EH13 5RS