Subject: Lacquer

Lacquer

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Martha Seelenberger <martha.seelenberger [at] parks__nyc__gov>
writes

>I would like to know if anybody has heard about a certain "Nichols
>Lacquer" being used on outdoor bronze sculptures.  If so, how can I
>get access to information on this product like, an MSDS, durability,
>your own personal experience, and even which sculptures have been
>treaded with this type of finishing?

There is a G.J. Nikolas and Company, in Bellwood, Illinois.  They
make a cellulose nitrate-based lacquer called Century Brass lacquer,
and exterior lacquers based on modified acrylics.  Their information
including MSDS's can be accessed at

    <URL:http://www.finish1.com/page_selector_con_solvent.htm>
    <URL:http://www.finish1.com/>

The Century Brass lacquer is intended for interior use.  That was
applied here at the Minnesota History Center on our public elevator
doors and thresholds last year after cleaning and patination of the
surfaces.  It is holding up very well under heavy visitation with
minimal maintenance.  I can't comment on how their products hold up
under outdoor conditions as we still apply Incralac in those
situations.

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774