Subject: Gatorboard

Gatorboard

From: David Frank Bugeja <david-frank.bugeja>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Bas van Velzen <bas.van.velzen [at] icn__nl> writes

>In the ongoing quest for materials with better properties for
>backingboards for paintings and framed works of art in general, we
>are considering Gatorboard as a replacement for Kapaline. Before
>extensively testing this material we would like to know if
>Gatorboard is used in conservation ...

I would suggest avoiding propriety named products that are composed
of unknown materials and manufacture. Choosing a material for
backing purposes depends mostly on whether the user needs to provide
a sealed (moisture and air) microenvironment for a specific
collection of paintings. The most sealing materials include glass
and metals (a thin aluminum foil adhered to an acid-free cardboard
would be appropriate for weight considerations). Otherwise, one
might consider non-woven polyester canvas should there be the need
to apply a non-sealing backing material.

David F. Bugeja
Paintings Conservator
Heritage Malta

                 Distributed: Monday, November 27, 2006