Subject: Walkie talkies for disaster response

Walkie talkies for disaster response

From: Eleanor Cook <cookei>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Donia Conn <bookconservator [at] yahoo__com> writes

>After recent flooding here at Northwestern University and the
>subsequent disaster recovery, we have decided that walkie talkies
>might be good to have on hand in our disaster recovery supplies.

Appalachian State University's Belk Library Library and Information
Commons opened a brand new building in the summer of 2005, and we
used walkie talkies during the process of the move.  After
completing the move we realized they would also be useful for fire
drills and other events such as a disaster.  Fortunately we have not
needed to use them for a disaster (yet).  Here is information about
the specifics from our Facilities Manager, Pat Sweet:

   "We have a total of (8) eight AudioVox Model GMRS9010-2CH with a
    3.2 maximum RF watt Output, about 8 miles line of sight
    coverage.  These units were a great tool for our library move.
    The new library is essentially a steel structure with a concrete
    skin and we had great coverage throughout the work zone
    excepting when the batteries were running low.

   "My recommendation would be to secure 5 watt units with large
    isolated talk buttons that are easily operated.  The major issue
    we had with this model was that people would inadvertently
    change settings by bumping the unit.

   "For an emergency pack, I would suggest that an unopened packet
    of batteries be stored with the units and the packages be cycled
    out semi-annually.  I would have my battery storage sufficient
    to cover at least 24 hours of continuous radio operation at
    maximum use."

    Pat Sweet
    828-262-8688
    Fax: 828-262-3001