Subject: Walkie talkies for disaster response

Walkie talkies for disaster response

From: Donia Conn <bookconservator>
Date: Thursday, November 2, 2006
After recent flooding here at Northwestern University and the
subsequent disaster recovery, we have decided that walkie talkies
might be good to have on hand in our disaster recovery supplies.
After doing some initial research, there seems to be many options
out there and it is hard to know what the best option is. Who has
walkie talkies in their disaster supplies or who has used them and
found them inadequate?  How well do they work indoors when you are
trying to get through several floors of a building and basements and
sub basements with HVAC equipment?

We have a rather large building with three separate towers (1970's)
and the older library wing (1910's). The recent flood affected the
first floor, basement and sub-basements of the 1970's building.
Recovery of library materials was spread out and communication was
difficult within the Preservation department since cell phones don't
work in the building.  It was also difficult to communicate with the
contractors who came in to dry out the flooded areas since damage
was so spread out.  Because of these communications difficulties, we
have started thinking about walkie talkies.

Donia Conn
Head of Conservation Services
Northwestern University Library
Evanston, IL 60202