Subject: Drum

Drum

From: Mark Vine <vpackthread>
Date: Friday, November 3, 2006
I have received a most unusual enquiry from a collector of vintage
drums  and would appreciate any thoughts or practical solutions on
the dilemma faced.

The drums are of the type  used by rock bands and music makers the
world over. The collector has informed me that the drums have a
nitrate-based plastic wrap on them used to give each drum its
distinctive artistic design.

The drums are covered in part by chrome hardware attachments, when
these attachments are removed the original, lighter, unfaded colour
of the plastic wrap design is evident.

The collector informs me that this type of wrap was produced,
apparently under somewhat inconsistent conditions in the 60's and
was discontinued for environmental and fire-safety concerns.

Leaving the original wraps on the drums, would be in the best
interest of the collection from an historical design point of view.
As with any historically important artifact the collector would like
to be able to preserve and ideally restore the finishes of these
drums to as close to their original quality as is possible.

Equally as important however is the ability, albeit on a limited
basis, to enable the playing of such equipment revealing the
original distinctive sound.

The dilemma faced by this collector must be mirrored on a daily
basis by custodians of working artifacts in museum and private
collections around the globe. Does one opt for the best possible
conservation solution even if by doing so one  effectively ends up
shielding the item from all future physical use.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd

                 Distributed: Monday, November 13, 2006