Subject: Pigeon droppings

Pigeon droppings

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Ercole Gialdi <rgi.ge [at] tiscali__it> writes

>I have a problem in my library: a window had been left open and a
>pigeon entered inside the books deposit staying there some days,
>soiling soiled many books with excrement. Can advise me on how to
>clean them?

While fresh pigeon droppings normally don't contain mycotic fungi
such as Histoplasma capsulatum, which cause histoplasmosis, it is
wise to use caution during clean-up.  Histoplasmosis is a serious
mycotic pulmonary disease that can develop when the composted
droppings mixed with soil are inhaled.  In your situation, it would
make sense to approach cleaning with the proper protective
equipment.  The following websites have detailed information dealing
with this problem:

    <URL:http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/fungal/histfact.htm>

    <URL:http://www.iupui.edu/~histodgn/bioinfo.pdf>

    <URL:http://www.dscr.dla.mil/
        userweb/AviationEngineering/
        HTIS/articles/ProtectingWorkersatRisktoHistoplasmosis.htm>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774