Subject: Cyanoacrylates

Cyanoacrylates

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Stephen Faulk <estebanana2005 [at] yahoo__com> writes

>... My main concern is to find information about how
>long it takes cyanoacrylate glues to breakdown and release a wood to
>wood bond. Any  testing or information that deals with archival
>issues in general would be helpful.

The best place to check would be with the Canadian Conservation
Institute.  Jane Down,Conservation Scientist, has been doing
research on various adhesives and is organizing a workshop on
adhesives in palaeontolgy, which includes current information on
cyanoacrylates.

The Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections
published a wall chart on adhesives in palaeontolgy in 1997.  The
publication can be found at:
<URL:http://www.spnhc.org/documents/leaflet2_descrip.pdf>.

Horie in "Materials for Conservation", describes cyanoacrylates as
being sensitive to alkaline conditions, and becoming brittle over
time, especially after being exposed to light.  I wasn't able to
find any written references to a time frame for bond failure.

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-297-5774