Subject: Insect infested tortoiseshell tabernacle

Insect infested tortoiseshell tabernacle

From: Simon Moore <simon.moore>
Date: Wednesday, November 8, 2006
Jason Clancy <g00067963 [at] gmit__ie> writes

>If anyone has treated tortoiseshell objects with insect infestations,
>I would like to get your opinions on how to treat the problem.

For tortoiseshell, avoid any type of freezing as this will trigger
layer delamination and cracking  I would suggest the use of anoxia
ensuring that the nitrogen is moistened to about 55-60% RH.

Dried areas of shell are successfully treated in the Antique Trade
using a vegetable oil--non-aromatic almond oil, although some may
blench at using a vegetable oil for treating an animal product.  If
this is deemed to be unsuitable then there are other products
available from taxidermy companies, e.g. Snowdonia Taxidermy.

Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council
Recreation and Heritage Department,