Subject: Gatorboard

Gatorboard

From: Konstanze Bachman <konstanzebachman>
Date: Saturday, November 4, 2006
Bas van Velzen <bas.van.velzen [at] icn__nl> writes

>In the ongoing quest for materials with better properties for
>backingboards for paintings and framed works of art in general, we
>are considering Gatorboard as a replacement for Kapaline. Before
>extensively testing this material we would like to know if
>Gatorboard is used in conservation ...

When I last looked at the material used for Gatorboard--and that was
a long time ago--it was quite acid and getting more so as it aged.
It is probably made using formaldehyde to harden the resin when they
press the paper cover/probably also using heat.

It is possible that materials and manufacture have changed over
time--but I suspect that it is acid as ever.  Have you tested it at
all---your basic Oddy test?

I would not use Gatorboard next to objects for any length of time. I
have used it when necessary, wrapping it in 1 mil Mylar for short
term, and alumiseal or like material for long-term use.

                 Distributed: Monday, November 13, 2006