Subject: Storing flags

Storing flags

From: Richard Rosenfield <rosenfi>
Date: Friday, November 10, 2006
Sigal Benzoor <sigalb [at] eretzmuseum__org__il> writes

>We have a collection of 800 flags. The flags vary in sizes and
>techniques. Some are painted, embroidered, patched, some are made of
>one layer of fabric, and some of more. We are asking for creative,
>compact and (of course) cheap storage solutions. If you have names
>of products, suppliers or materials to recommend, It would be
>highly appreciated

I was recently involved in a flag storage project of civil war flags
at the 69th regimental headquarters in NYC.  We made custom boxes
out of archival materials.  The project is documented online at
(scroll to part II box making
<URL:http://www.sixtyninth.net/downloads/Flag_Stabilization.pdf>

Yael Rosenfield
Textile Conservator

                Distributed: Saturday, November 11, 2006