Subject: Insect infested tortoiseshell tabernacle

Insect infested tortoiseshell tabernacle

From: Jason Clancy <g00067963>
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2006
I have a late 17th century tabernacle, which is completely covered
in tortoiseshell. The piece comprises of a main cabinet or
tabernacle that sits on a stand. The piece is baroque in style and
the main subrstate is oak with sections in pine. The piece is
infested with the common furniture beetle and has badly
deteriorated.

I need some advice on how to treat the piece for the insect
infestation, after which I will be able to restore/conserve the
piece. As already mentioned the piece is badly deteriorated with
complete sections of tortoiseshell falling off.

If anyone has treated tortoiseshell objects with insect infestations,
I would like to get your opinions on how to treat the problem.

Jason Clancy
Student conservator
Conservation Dept
GMIT Letterfrack