Subject: Gatorboard

Gatorboard

From: Bas van Velzen <bas.van.velzen>
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2006
In the ongoing quest for materials with better properties for
backingboards for paintings and framed works of art in general, we
are considering Gatorboard as a replacement for Kapaline. Before
extensively testing this material we would like to know if
Gatorboard is used in conservation in the first place. At this
moment we have the following questions: Do you have any experience
with Gatorboard used in the above mentioned applications? If so,
what where your reasons for choosing the material? are there any
known problems with Gatorboard, such as off-gassing?

If this is a new material for you more information can be found at
<URL:http://tri-dee.com/gatorboard.htm>

Bas van Velzen, paper conservator
Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage (ICN)

                 Distributed: Friday, November 3, 2006