Subject: Oil paintings on mineral support

Oil paintings on mineral support

From: Agnes Asperti <agnes_asperti>
Date: Friday, October 20, 2006
I am a student in restoration of paintings doing research which
deals with conservation and restoration of sixteenth and seventeenth
century oil paintings on mineral (stone) supports.

These stones are cut in thin slabs and their surface is polished.
Each stone is selected for its colours and patterns created by veins
or oxidations. Artists integrate their composition into this natural
background play with motives. The are always unique as they are
only created by nature. This background is partly left visible,
according to the effect sought by painters.

I have to restore such a painting. It is composed by a thin oil
painting layer on marble. The marble as been broken accidentally in
the past, and clumsily reassembled by gluing. This gluing was done
with plaster, and a thin slab of slate was applied all allover, on
the reverse, to maintain and consolidate the whole. The painting
layer presents bad adhesion with the support, and some gaps. I am
looking for input from anyone with experience working with this kind
of painting.

I am looking for information about the artists' technique;
interventions of gluing on marble and removal of glue; and
consolidation of painting layer on mineral or/and polished surfaces.
I am particularly interested in notes relating to intervention and
treatment on this kind of works of art.

                 Distributed: Friday, November 3, 2006