Subject: Impact of construction projects near collections

Impact of construction projects near collections

From: Susanne Gansicke <sgansicke>
Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2006
As the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, is beginning construction work
related to its Master Site Plan, we are looking for experiences
other institutions have had with large scale building activities in
immediate vicinity to galleries installed with artwork.  We are
going to experience demolition of existing building structures,
extensive amounts of excavation and the erection of a new building
abutting the existing building.  We are seeking information about
the following aspects:

    *   quantifying what kind of vibration levels-if at all-would
        seem acceptable for certain types of materials or objects
        (paintings, objects, furniture, frames ... etc.).

    *   research on mitigating damaging effects during construction
        activities (other than complete deinstallation of
        galleries), i.e. padding, vibration dampers etc.

    *   identifying damage patterns to long-term exposure of
        low-grade vibrations.

Susanne Gansicke
Acting Head of Objects Conservator
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston