Subject: X-ray equipment

X-ray equipment

From: Helene Woodard <hwoodard>
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2006
The Indianapolis Museum of Art Conservation Department is looking
into purchasing a new x-ray system.  This system has to be flexible
for a diverse collection of artifacts, ranging from paper, textiles,
paintings and objects.

We have had two proposals that look promising and would like to talk
to anyone who has used or is using a similar model in their
conservation research.

The first one is a Lorad LPX 200 with a range of 10 * 200 kV,
0.1-10.1 mA, constant potential, Beryllium window and air cooled.

Our other choice is a GE Seitfer Eresco 42 MF3.1 or 42 MF-W3.1 with
a range of 5-200 kV, 0.5 * 10.0 mA, continuous potential, Beryllium
window and air cooled.

We are also interested in any feed back on the CR digital capture
systems.  We are looking at two Computed Radiography systems which
use a thin flexible phosphor coated plastic sheet that is scanned
and downloaded into a computer software program. The first system is
GE CRx Table top (Computed Radiography scanner) with GE Rhythm total
x-ray Inspection software. The other is Virtual Media Integration
(VMI) Starr 6.8 Digital Radiography system.

We would appreciate any information on the above
equipment, such as ease of use, image quality and maintenance
requirements.

Helene Gillette-Woodard
Senior Conservator of Objects
Indianapolis Museum of Art