Subject: Lacquered papier mache tabletop

Lacquered papier mache tabletop

From: Ruaidhri O'Bolguidhir <ruri>
Date: Tuesday, October 24, 2006
I am a student of conservation and restoration and have been
assigned a papier mache tilt-top table as my current project. The
table-top is lacquered and has mother of pearl inlay. It also has
decorative gilding and a floral scene painted on the surface. All of
this is covered with a thick varnish layer. This varnish layer is
almost opaque and completely obscures the painted areas and gilding.

The varnish on the surface is very stubborn and solvent tests
carried out have shown that dichloromethane is the only effective
solvent. Even dichloromethane is difficult to use because it
evaporates so quickly. Does anyone know of a way to gel
dichloromethane which would allow me to apply it to the surface with
more control?

An alternate treatment proposal is to try to reactivate the varnish
layer to improve its visibility. Can anyone tell me of a treatment
by which this might be achieved?

Ruaidhri O'Bolguidhir
Furniture Conservation Dept
The Furniture College