Subject: Green parchment

Green parchment

From: Mark Clarke <mark>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 2006
Aurora Peruzzi <auroraper [at] yahoo__it> writes

>I am a book conservator at the Lancisiana Library in Rome and I am
>researching stiff bindings covered with a green parchment. ...
> ... any particular tips on the
>manufacturing and conservation of green parchment would really be
>appreciated.

The following paper discusses alum-tawed skins rather than
parchment, but does discuss the colouring.

    Vest, M. and J. Wouters (1999)
    "Dyestuffs and pigments in 12th to 18th century alum tawed
    bookbinding leather in European collections"
    ICOM-CC Preprints 12, Lyon: 714-720.

Dr Mark Clarke
Hamilton Kerr Institute (Fitzwilliam Museum)
University of Cambridge
Whittlesford, Cambridge CB2 4NE, England
+44 1223 832040
Fax: +44 1223 837595

                 Distributed: Friday, November 3, 2006