Subject: Stone conservation

Stone conservation

From: Michelle Langlie <mmlanglie>
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2006
I am a graduate student in my final year at Columbia University's
preservation program.  My thesis topic involves investigating the
resoiling rates of cleaned historic buildings and monuments, mainly
in New York City, though I may expand my studies to look at
buildings in throughout the northeast region.  I am working with
Professor George Wheeler, and am now in the process of narrowing
down and solidifying my list of buildings to include in the study.

There are several important criteria for me to be able to look at a
particular building, including that information exists on stone
type, dates of cleaning, cleaning method, and that there is
photographic documentation recording the building condition before
and after cleaning.  I am contacting you all to see if you/your firm
have participated in the cleaning of some of these buildings and may
know more information about the cleaning projects below, or could
possibly point me in the direction of those that may have been
involved (contractors, etc). Also, any suggestions of other
buildings/monuments that have been cleaned that you believe would be
good candidates for study are greatly welcomed.

Possible buildings:

Limestone (including Indiana, Minnesota):
    Institute of Fine Arts
    Metropolitan Museum of Art

Marble (Tuckahoe, Vermont):
    Federal Hall
    Grace Church
    New York Public Library
    St. Patrick's Cathedral
    Sun Building
    Washington Square Arch

Brownstone: (Portland, Longmeadow):
    Cooper Union
    Fifth Avenue Presbyterian
    Trinity Church
    Villard Houses

Multi-Stone:
    Federal Reserve Bank
    New York Academy of Medicine

Michelle Marie Langlie
Columbia University
Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation

                 Distributed: Sunday, October 29, 2006