Subject: Wax seals in bound books

Wax seals in bound books

From: Siobhan Woodgate <siobhanwoodgate>
Date: Tuesday, October 10, 2006
We have a book which we should send off for conservation rebinding.
It is made up of documents, some of which have red wax seals on
them. They have created indentations on the neighbouring pages, but
they are still intact. Now that they are going for rebinding. I
can't assume that they will continue to be protected.

Is it possible to bind something like Goretex, capillary matting, or
Sympatex as its neighbouring page?  I recognise that the smoother
surface of any of these should be placed next to the wax seal, so
that the fibres won't catch, but I was wondering if anyone has done
anything like this. If so was it successful? If not, does anyone
know of a better alternative, or any other suggestions?

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 18, 2006