Subject: Polyester resin objects

Polyester resin objects

From: Yvonne Shashoua <yvonne.shashoua>
Date: Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Meghan Mackey <mtmackey [at] tds__net> writes

>I am looking for input from anyone with experience working with cast
>polyester resin objects, especially tacky (as in sticky) polyester
>resin.

Before deciding on a conservation or rescue treatment for the casts,
I would recommend obtaining an identification of the plastic
present. Identification would help ascertain the reason for
deterioration, particularly since the casts are relatively new and
are unlikely to have been exposed to highly deteriorating conditions
such as high UV levels, the greatest enemy of synthetic materials.
Polyesters do not always contain plasticizers, so this may or may
not be the cause of stickiness.  Another option is that the
polyester never cured completely. The only way to define the cause
is by analysing the plastic or the sticky material. ATR-FTIR
spectroscopy of the surface may be carried out non-destructively and
is a rapid, definitive technique for plastics. If you do not have
access to a laboratory which can carry out ATR-FTIR, I would be
happy to advise.

Yvonne Shashoua
Senior Researcher
National Museum of Denmark