Subject: Pharmaceuticals

Pharmaceuticals

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee>
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Can anyone advise on safe handling and storage and possibly disposal
of small quantities of old pharmaceuticals in collections? We may be
acquiring some medical kits containing potentially dangerous
substances, possibly including strychnine, morphine, and so on. I am
particularly interested in any applicable Canadian regulations and
recommendations regarding retention and disposal of such material.
If we choose to dispose of the material, what are the
recommendations regarding cleaning the associated containers, with a
view to retention of the associated packaging and instruments in the
collections?

Dee Stubbs-Lee
Conservator,
The New Brunswick Museum
277 Douglas Avenue
Saint John, New Brunswick E2K 1E5
Canada
506-643-2341
Fax: 506-643-2360

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 27, 2006