Subject: Consolidant for sandstone

Consolidant for sandstone

From: Mark Vine <vpackthread>
Date: Monday, September 25, 2006
Dara Zitzmann <d_zitzmann [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We will be working on a sandstone monument that has severely
>deteriorated.  We need to consolidate the stone, however as it is
>located in Washington DC, we cannot use Prosoco's Conservare OH.
>Does anyone on the DistList have suggestions for an acceptable
>sandstone consolidant that can be used in the District?

Primal B60A (also known as Rhoplex B60A) has been used for this
purpose.

An ethyl acrylate methyl methacrylate, Primal B60A is an acrylic
emulsion polymer used for the consolidation of old masonry, plater
and mortar and crumbling sandstone.

Primal B60A has excellent stability to salts and a good tolerance to
organic solvents. B60A  is usually diluted in water at a ratio of 1
part B60A to 1 part water with improved penetration achieved from
increasing the ratio to 1 part B60A to 2 parts water.

Where a protective coating is required a second coating can be
administered.

Full technical information including guidance on coverage is
available from  our plants in Springfield, Virginia, America and
Cowley, Oxford, England.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
England

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 27, 2006