Subject: Adhesive for ceramics

Adhesive for ceramics

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, September 25, 2006
Amanda Severne <amandaseverne [at] btopenworld__com> writes

>I have heard of an adhesive used in ceramic conservation whereby the
>object is first taped into position and the adhesive applied to the
>taped fracture.  It then migrates into the fracture, allowing near
>perfect contact of the broken pieces.  I believe this is being used
>for the reconstruction of the FitzWilliam vases in Cambridge.  Can
>anyone tell me what this adhesive is, and where I could obtain it,
>bearing in mind that this posting comes from the U.K.? ...

Assembly by injecting an adhesive into a join, also known as
injection by capillary action, or "wicking in", can be done using a
variety of adhesives. The most common application is with an epoxy
resin.  However, Acryloid B-72 also works well if the adhesive
mixture is modified using a slow evaporating solvent.

This technique requires careful planning and assembly of all
fragments prior to the adhesive being applied.  Some conservators
prefer using small "bridges" or clamps across the joins, rather than
tape, as the adhesive usually creeps under the tape, and makes
clean-up much more difficult and complicated.

This technique is only recommended for high-fired ceramics or glass.
It does not work well with low-fired earthenwares, or soft-paste
ceramics, and also results in the adhesive migrating into the porous
and permeable body, causing darkening and staining.  If an epoxy is
used, the staining will be irreversible.

Another problem with this technique is the fact that it only works
well when the ceramic or glass is of a limited thickness.  In my
experience, the adhesive will not be drawn in evenly or completely
into a join over 1/4 inch (5-6 mm) thick.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830
607-974-8228
Fax: 607-974-8470

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 27, 2006