Subject: Surface cleaning paper

Surface cleaning paper

From: Eugenia Stamatopoulou <stamatopoulou>
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2006
I am looking for an advice about cleaning the surface of an large
scale artwork composed by several A4 pieces of pencils drawings. The
A4 pages of paper are sealed on a canvas and they present an
non-homogeneous yellowish. Because of the size of the work it is
impossible to follow a water based cleaning.

I am looking for any advice for using a solvent cleaning gel for
this kind of purpose. The work is quite new (1980's) and I believe
that it maybe coated with a commercial type of spray varnish that
turned to yellowish.

Eugenia Stamatopoulou
Contemporary Art Conservator
The Dakis Joannou Collection Foundation

               Distributed: Saturday, September 23, 2006