Subject: Disassembling acrylic sculpture

Disassembling acrylic sculpture

From: Kate Moomaw <kwm208>
Date: Friday, September 8, 2006
At the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, we have a sculpture composed
of Perspex boxes, adhered together with an unidentified adhesive,
possibly a cellulose derivative.  In order to treat the work, it
would be necessary to take apart the adhesive joins between the
boxes. We suspect that the adhesive is only soluble in solvents that
would be damaging to the Perspex. Would anyone be willing to share
experiences dissembling such an object, either mechanically or
chemically?  Any suggestions on how to approach this problem would
be greatly appreciated.

Kate Moomaw
Intern
Beeldenrestauratie
Stedelijk Museum
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
M.A. Candidate, New York University
New York, New York

               Distributed: Saturday, September 23, 2006