Subject: Conservation principles

Conservation principles

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone>
Date: Friday, September 8, 2006
George Brock-Nannestad <pattac [at] image__dk> writes

>On 28 August Bud Goldstone exemplified:
>
>>LACMA heads and their brilliant curator chose to lift it back up and
>>make it fly again rather than leaving it lying there on the ground.
>>I won a competitive contract from them to get it to fly again--I am
>>an aeronautical art conservation engineer after all. We made it fly
>>by lightening the loads--aluminum for steel--and hollow tubes rather
>>than bars -typical fixes in aerospace after all. Who of you that has
>>seen it fly now is for leaving it lie on the ground? Make it fly
>>again? Yes!
>
>Well, I agree--it was a deliberate, well-considered, and documented
>undertaking, and the materials used were apparently not confusingly
>similar to the original. However, is it not in reality a
>museum-authenticated replica?

If you re-read your input to the Cons DistList and mine, you may
find your glaring omission we all found at the Los Angeles County
Museum of Art (LACMA) in Los Angeles. That is where Alexander
Calder's only 3-part, wind and water-driven mobile, 'Hello Girls' is
installed and rotating again and very well-liked, even if she did
crash and break!

    **** Moderator's comments: Note the corrigendum posted by George
    Brock-Nannestad, whose quoted material was victim of editorial
    error.

Bud Goldstone

               Distributed: Saturday, September 23, 2006