Subject: Integrated Pest Management

Integrated Pest Management

From: Steven Pine <spine2>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2006
In a query dated September 7, 2006 Amber Tarnowski described her
frustration trying to locate a supplier for fumigation bubbles.  The
short answer Amber is that Power Plastics Ltd.
<URL:http://www.powerplastics.co.uk> is who you need to contact.  In
the early literature Rentokil was identified as the supplier but
they no longer handle the bubbles.  Apparently, Power Plastics was
the manufacturer and makes an expanded variety of enclosures that
are less permeable to vapor migration than the early generation.
There has been a supplier in Canada but they act as a middle man and
take a huge mark up for their trouble so I recommend going straight
to the manufacturer.

In June 2005 I purchased a rather large enclosure to fumigate much
of an exhibition of Thornton Dial work. The "Semi-Permanent Bubble"
(complete with internal frame) used for that task was 6m x 4m x 2.5m
and it cost 3365.00 GB Pounds and ran another 275.00 for shipping.
There is a selection of smaller units. Be persistent and don't
expect a quick delivery as they keep little stock on hand and make
the bubble once the order is placed. Fittings and valves are
included but they contracted a separate firm to make the vacuum unit
at extra cost. There are several sources for the oxygen monitors.  I
chose Teledyne.

Steve Pine
Decorative Arts Conservator
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

               Distributed: Saturday, September 23, 2006