Subject: LED light and inkjet prints

LED light and inkjet prints

From: Francoise Vienot <vienot>
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2006
>Does anyone have experience using LED strip white lighting for the
>long term display of inkjet prints on rag paper I have been asked
>for advise on the display of a 9 metre print which is to be
>displayed as part of a public art project. It is being fitted into a
>wall cavity 150mm deep with 3 x 3 x 1.2 meter panels of glass in
>front. The linear lighting is 1 LED light every 100mm placed in the
>ceiling of the cavity. I have found little research on using LED
>lighting and any advice or information would be appreciated.

We have done some work on LED light, colour rendering and
conservation. Here is the list of publications that we have
produced.

    Ezrati J.-J., Perignon P., Bricoune A., Serreault L., Harrar M.,
    Vienot F., Mahler E., 2005
    Light-emitting diodes: a future for museum lighting? ICOM 14th
    Triennial Meeting 2005, Vol. II, 26 September 2005.

    Vienot F., Mahler E., Serreault L., Harrar M., Ezrati J-J.,
    Perignon P., Bricoune A., 2005
    Discriminating colours under LED illumination, in Proceedings of
    10th Congress of the International Colour Association, Granada
    (Granada, 2005), pp. 33-36.

    Mahler E., Ezrati J.-J., Vienot F., 2005
    Designing a colour discrimination test to assess colour
    rendering of LED sources. XVIIIth Symposium of the International
    Colour Vision Society, Lyon, 8-12 July 2005, p. 53.

    Lavedrine B., Gillet M., Vienot F., Garnier C., Mahler E., 2006
    Evaluation de la photosensibilite et etude d'un dispositif
    d'eclairage a diodes electroluminescentes de photographies
    anciennes en couleurs. Couleur et temps, La couleur en
    conservation et restauration, Actes des 12es journees d'etudes
    de la Section francaise de l'institut international de
    conservation, 21-24 juin 2006, SFIIC, Champs sur Marne, pages
    272-279. ISBN 2-905430-16-8.

Please do contact us if you need information. We have not worked yet
on LED light and inkjet prints. Would you be interested by a
collaboration?

Francoise Vienot
Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle
Departement des Galeries
Centre de Recherches sur la Conservation des Documents Graphiques
Equipe Vision et Apparence
36 rue Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire
75005 Paris
+33 0 1 40 79 53 17