Subject: Measuring UV

Measuring UV

From: William Hall <wdh2>
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Carlyn Hammons <carlyn.hammons [at] thc__state__tx__us> writes

>...  I am in search for some obscure information and hope
>that someone here might be able to help.  I know that there is a
>very complicated formula for determining microwatts per lumen using
>the combination of a lux meter and a UV meter which gives readings
>in microwatts per square centimeter.  Does anyone recall this
>formula?

To quote from the manual:

    To convert from uW/lumen to uW/m2 at a particular point, say on
    the surface of an exhibit, a commercial light meter must be used
    to measure illuminance at this point. Since illuminance is
    measured in lumens per square meter (lux), we have only to
    multiply the uW/lumen figure by the illuminance to obtain mW/m2.

Example:

    UV reading 100uW/lm
    Illuminance on exhibit 50 lux
    UV irradiation on exhibit = 100 x 50 = 5000uW/m2.

William Hall
Littlemore Scientific

                 Distributed: Friday, September 8, 2006