Subject: Survey on backing

Survey on backing

From: Laurent Sozzani <l.sozzani>
Date: Monday, August 28, 2006
    author.

I would like to make an impromptu survey of backing protection used
on canvas paintings.  Can you please take a minute to answer as much
or as little of the following and send your response to me.
l.sozzani [at] rijksmuseum__nl

    Do you regularly attach backing boards or other backing
    protection to canvas paintings?

    All paintings or only particular cases?

    What material is used?

    Attached to the stretcher or to the frame?

    For how long has this been a regular practice?

    Do you ever use other backing protection other than or with a
    'regular' backing board?

Laurent Sozzani
Senior Paintings Restorer
Paintings Restoration Department