Subject: Biocides for leather

Biocides for leather

From: Susanne Grieve <sgrieve>
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 2006
I'd like to know what everyone uses as a biocide when working with
submerged or waterlogged archaeological leather and wood. The
following biocides are what I have come across in my research:

    Adesol and Panacide: Thompson (Conservation of Leather, 2006)
    recommends using these. It seems like these two chemicals are
    used mostly in the UK or Australia and I haven't seen a lot of
    published literature on their uses.

    Kathon CG: This appears to have been mainly used in conjunction
    with sucrose treatments for wood and I am concerned about the
    compatibility with leather. Again not a lot of published
    literature.

    Dowicide 1: The biocide that I have worked most closely with,
    but I wanted to see how widely it is used.

Can anyone who has worked with these recommend one over the other?

Susanne Grieve
Assistant Conservator
The Mariners' Museum
USS Monitor Project