Subject: Adhesive

Adhesive

From: Jane Pudsey <jane.pudsey>
Date: Friday, August 25, 2006
We are trying to identify a suitable hi-tack, hi-grab adhesive to
apply in situ to lifted portions of stiff, varnished paper scraps on
a Victorian scrap screen which cannot be taken apart to treat in our
temporary accommodation (we don't want it to look pristine for the
display context, anyway, which is just as well).

Most of the affected scraps have a distinct hinge at the crease
between adhered and unadhered areas, meaning that the lifted areas
will not stay down without encouragement. Unfortunately, the
structure of the screen means that good support cannot be given from
the back to enable weights to be used whilst drying, so that basic
adherence needs to take place whilst the scrap is held in place by
light finger pressure. The canvas has been treated with grounds of
some sort prior to the original attachment; this is in variable
condition.

A literature search has identified sodium alginate as having been
used to attach scraps to new canvas on a demounted scrap screen, but
are unable to get hold of a sample to experiment with. Can anyone
help, either with experience or a sample of sodium alginate, or
other suggestions of adhesive?

Jane Pudsey
Senior Conservator
The Herbert