Subject: Alberto Vargas

Alberto Vargas

From: Rosanna Kuon <rkuon>
Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2006
This is posted on behalf of a conservator who is not on the Cons
DistList

    I have currently a commission to conserve a Vargas Girl (the
    Playboy artist from the 50s and 60s). The work is a mixed
    technique (pencil and  gouache /watercolour?) on four plies
    paper, which presents a severe case of discoloration (paper is
    almost the colour of a brown bag). In these circumstances the
    work can hardly be seen, with the exception of the lips (bright
    red) and eyes (bright blue).

    As it is impossible to test the media used (i.e water colour or
    guache), I would like to know if there are similar experiences
    in bleaching paper under the circumstances described.

Rosanna Kuon
Restorer on Private Practice
Calle Salamanca 265. San Isidro.
Lima, 27 Peru