Subject: Acid scavengers

Acid scavengers

From: Doon Laura Lovett <d.l.lovett>
Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who might have experience of
using acid scavengers. I am looking for ways to prolong the life of
a pair of 1970s 'fake leather' trousers. The 'leather' fabric is a
thin layer of polyurethane coated on brushed cotton. Polyurethane
releases acid as it degrades which further catalyses the degradation
process. I would like to experiment with acid scavengers to see if I
can slow the rate of degradation.

Ms Doon Lovett BSc MBBS MA Tex Con
Textile Conservator
The Textile Conservation Centre