Subject: Teflon

Teflon

From: Kathryn Hallett <kathryn.hallett>
Date: Friday, August 11, 2006
Amanda Didden <adidden [at] johnmilnerassociates__com> writes

>Does anyone have experience using a fluoropolymer (Teflon) based
>water repellent on bricks?  I have been testing a new breathable
>product against standard silanes and siloxanes but have found little
>research on long term performance of fluoropolymer coatings for
>masonry.  Any advice or resources would be appreciated.

Research in this area has been carried out at the National Center
for Preservation Technology and Training (NCPTT)
(<URL:http://www.ncptt.nps.gov>). Some of the work was published in
the following article:

    M.F. Striegel, E. Bede Guin, K. Hallett, D. Sandoval, R.
    Swingle, K. Knox, F. Best and S. Fornea. (2003)
    "Air pollution, coatings, and cultural resources."
    Progress in Organic Coatings (48). Pp. 281-288

                  Distributed: Monday, August 28, 2006